FLAWED AND FABULOUS Country Antiques and Collectables

https://www.facebook.com/flawedfabulousantiques

07 October, 2005

Out in the workshop



OUT IN THE WORKSHOP


I am struggling getting the photos to go where I want them, but this the desk. The lightshade was an accident, and I don't know how to remove it. Oh well it is nice anyway. I put the glass handles on today, hope you like the desk, the repair over the right drawer still sticks out but otherwise I'm pretty happy with the colour, I had a few dealers in last night and they were admiring the polish and that made me happy. I am going do do some how to posts soon. The Victorian milk glass lightshade above is 250.00

I was late opening today because I've been working on a little desk in my workshop. It's a funny little piece made of mixed timbers, redwood legs and pine top and skirts. It really was in shed condition. It has had a lot more joinery than I'd like, but I still think it's a cutie. I was worried about the colour though, Redwood is a deep colour and very grainy like oregon, the pine is quite fine although I don't know enough to tell you what kind of pine it is.

Like many lovely Victorian pine pieces it was disrespected, luckily it still had old finish, and had escaped a nice fresh coat of paint, but the drawers were gone, it must have been standing in a moist environment, like straight on an earth floor, because the bottoms of the feet had been moisture affected.
The bottoms of the legs have been returned and repaired, the drawers replaced. The top has been jointed and pulled down as straight as possible without touching the surface.The vice holes....yes the vice had been on it, have been plugged. This is not one for the fainted hearted, seriously flawed but fabulous. It has a pretty form though, nice Victorian turned legs. Not for everyone, but for those of us who don't mind things a bit rustic and well worn it is appealing.